1. Hamilton County senior citizens may participate.
2. One entry per person.
1. Compose a cinquain poem based on the theme “trees in nature.” A cinquain is a verse of 5 lines that do not rhyme, written in the shape of a diamond. Each line has a set number of syllables.
Line Syllables Description
1 2 A vague or general subject or topic
2 4 Adjectives that describe the topic
3 6 -ing action words that fit the topic
4 8 A phrase that captures feeling about the topic
5 2 A very specific term that explains Line 1
Cinquain example: November Night by Adelaide Crapsey
With faint dry sound,
Like steps of passing ghosts,
The leaves, frost-crisp'd, break from the trees
2. The poem must be original and hand written or typed.
3. On the back of your entry, include:
b. Mailing address
c. Phone number and / or email address
d. Senior citizen center, meal site, or nutrition site, if applicable
1. Entry deadline: Thursday April 28, 2017.
2. Deliver or mail your entry or mailed to:
Hamilton County Soil and Water Conservation District
103 County View Drive, PO BOX 166 Lake Pleasant NY 12108
3. If the office is closed when you arrive, leave your poem in the lower entryway.
Poems will be judged on originality and relevance to theme.
1. Certificates will be awarded to all participants.
2. The county-wide first place winner will receive a special prize.
Good luck, have fun, and Happy Arbor Day!